This pasta recipe originated from the Southern Italian province of Calabria. Coined as “peasant food” for those who cannot afford other ingredients. This meatless pasta dish is easy to follow but tastes delicious.
- 12 ounces of pasta
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 cloves of fresh peeled garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 2 cups of sourdough or baguette breadcrumbs
- ½ cup of parsley
- 2 teaspoons of lemon peel, finely grated
- ¾ cup pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- Open your Garlic Shaker®. Toss an entire head of garlic into it. Close the lids. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Open a lid. Pour out the peeled cloves.
- Boil water for pasta and cook as per instruction, or until al dente.
- Remove from heat and strain the pasta. Set aside to cool.
- Using a skillet, heat half of the olive oil with the butter. When butter has melted, add in the garlic, black olives, green olives and breadcrumbs. Continue stirring until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- Pour the pasta into the skillet and stir until combined.
- Transfer the pasta into a large bowl. Garnish with parsley and lemon peel. Drizzle the remaining olive oil. Serve.
Number of Servings: 4 to 6 servings of spaghetti with garlic.