This one is unique, but exciting! Take a little risk and try it. The best technique to make great waffles is to triple – sift the flour. When the flour gets sifted it picks up more air. Therefore, the more you sift, the lighter batter you get. Try out this savoury waffle recipe, and you just might never go back making waffles the traditional way again.
- 1 and ½ cup of cake flour
- 2 and ½ teaspoons of baking power
- 3 pieces of egg, separate yolks and whites
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves of fresh peeled garlic
- 3 pieces of scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon of thyme, chopped
- 1 and ½ cups of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of table salt
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Open your Garlic Shaker®. Toss an entire head of garlic into it. Close the lids. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Open a lid. Pour out the peeled cloves.
- Pour the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and scallions for about 1 minute, or until slightly golden brown. Remove saucepan from the heat and sprinkle the thyme. Set aside.
- Heat up the waffle maker.
- Triple – sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs yolks and buttermilk thoroughly.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until smooth but some lumps are okay. Next, pour the egg white mixture and fold them together.
- Add the sautéed garlic and scallions into the egg and flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Spoon into waffle maker and cook, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Arrange waffles into a serving dish. Top with shrimp, chicken, or pork. Serve hot.
Number of Servings: 10 - 15 servings, depending on size of garlic herb waffles.